Monday, February 23, 2009

A few of my favorite things...at 18 months.

Olivia is now 18 months. She had her regular check-up with the doctor and she measured at 25-something lbs. and 31 inches, I think. It's sad that I've already forgotten and the paper they gave me is in kilos.

I thought I would like to remember a few of her favorite things at this age. So, I'm going to list a few. There is no particular order, except for the first item. If you don't want to read about them- just read the bold-ed items and skip through.

Pink Bear
-it's like a favorite blankey that you just can't get your kid to leave home without. If any of you have dealt with this, then you understand. Or maybe it's like a binky for the same reason. If she's crying, the bear can give her more comfort than we can. When she's lifted out of the crib she has to grab her bear on the way out. And if we let her, she would carry it around all day. I find her holding several things in her arms and unwilling to drop the bear.


you can't see it well, but her pink bear is at her side here, she has her other hand on it.
Books
-Her favorite of our books are the ones that have real life pictures of animals. When she was younger she loved looking at other babies/kids in the books but now it's mostly about animals and making the sounds of them.

Other kids
-we just have to walk by other kids and she starts to turn around and walk towards them. She wants to go up to them and play. I don't think that every other kid shares her outgoing personality.

her mom and dad- of course! But it won't always be that way. Sad.

her "Shape" toy & leap frog music thing
-both are hand-me-downs from my sister-in-law. Livvy has loved putting the shapes back into the ball. She hands it to me to empty so she can put them back through. She carries around the music player. It does nursery rhyme songs and she dances and does the hand motions.

Just running outdoors
-she cries to go outside and when she gets there she just wants to run. I don't think it's about a destination at all. Just a matter of going. Lately we've been going to the mall when the stores are closed but they are still open just so she is free to run anywhere and bug no one. Besides, it's warmer indoors. (I'm ready for Spring)
.
anything that has buttons
-all electronics get special attention since they have buttons with lights. It is very inviting. She has done things to our laptop that we don't even know how to do. We have many occasions of watching a TV show or movie and having her turn the TV off in a climactic moment.

This seriously is a fun age. She has started her "terrible two" tantrums, but only a tiny bit. So, I still get the sweeter side of her-for now. She mostly follows me around the apartment and plays with things in the room I'm in. She jabbers at things and I love it. She does that a lot in the car at the things we pass by. Those are some things I want to remember about this age. 1 1/2 years old.

1 comment:

Taryn said...

Super fun! I'm glad that you are keeping track of the things that she is doing, because you may forget later. I can't believe what we don't remember about Clara's infancy, now that we are trying to compare her and Montgomery...it is sad...but luckily we took a ton of pictures and videos, so not all is lost I guess.

Regarding Livvy's love for you, I have a fantastic quote that I read the other day, and has been floating around in my head ever since.

"I love these little people; and it is not a slight thing, when they, who are so fresh from God, love us." -Charles Dickens

We are truly blessed to be loved by these little angels in our lives.