Hyrum has worked for Intermountain Healthcare for the last 7 1/2 yrs and has really liked working for them. He started as a courier, collecting specimen and labs for the hospitals in Utah. He did that for 2 years, until being offered a job at the Merril Gappmeyer Family Medicine clinic in Provo. He worked there for the last 5 1/2 years. He did patient check-ins, scheduling, doctor/patient Spanish interpretation, and many other things for the clinic during his time there. They were flexible in allowing him to work only part-time for a while during school and then to almost-nothing, then back to full time when school was over. It has been such a blessing to have this job.
But an opportunity popped up when a good friend of his, who he coincidentally had worked with at the clinic while they both were in school, told him about a couple openings in his current job. He has been working and living in Salt Lake for a while and for the last few months, only, has been working for the University of Utah in their dermatology department. It is associated with the U of U Hospital but is still more directly under the University, for reasons I don't understand and don't really need to.
To make a long story short on the applying and interviewing, offering and accepting- He got the job! He started up with the Univ of Utah Dermatology Dept last week and will be in training for a few months. That is just what they do for everyone but Hyrum doesn't need much of that since they do what he's been doing for the last few years. In fact, Hyrum says they don't see nearly as many patients as what he's used to and it's much more relaxed. I only hope he doesn't get bored.
The downside to the change:
-The commute.
-The hours are similar but since he is now working 1+ hours away, we see him less.
-The distance. I am referring to this as to just feeling the distance between us. I now don't have any close family in the area that I can just rely upon to help me out in an emergency. I do feel alone now in the day hours.
The upside:
-The pay. It was a good increase to what he was making at his last job. Had it not been, he wouldn't have taken it.
- Feels more semi-permanent. He can stay there till he gets accepted to grad school.
- (this doesn't get a full point but it is still positive to the negative of the commute) The U is going to pay for his trax and front runner pass. So, it will be free to commute once he can go from Provo to Salt Lake that way.
And I guess it's just preparing me to be more self-sufficient for when we are in grad school and Hyrum is in classes and studying for classes for hours-on-end.
4 comments:
Exciting news!!!! Congrats Hyrum on the job and Emily, I'm just a couple blocks away :)
Yay for the new job, boo for the commute. You can always call me in an emergency, or if you just need some adult interaction during the day! :)
Congrats on the new job! I am there with you on the feeling pretty by yourself, especially when they are in school. It is basically a single motherhood at that point in time.
I love your blog! Your family is soooo cute! So we just started grad school and play dates are going to keep me sane! I think Camilla is going to love playing with your kids. :) We'll stick together while the hubbies work and study.
Here's my family/project blog too: kandiecarling.blogspot.com
Katie :)
Post a Comment